Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sun Style Internal Martial Arts

Sun Style of Taijiquan International Standard Competition 73 Movements Form

Research by Michael P. Garofalo, M.S..  Notes from 2005-2012.  

This webpage includes an introduction, information on the Sun Taijiquan form, a large collection of quotations about Sun Taijiquan, a detailed bibliography, extensive links, references to video and DVD resources, and suggestions for learning the international competition Sun 73 form.  A detailed comparative list of the names of each of the 73 movements is provided, with source references, and the movement names are given in English, Pinyin Chinese, Chinese characters, French, German, and Spanish.  A detailed description of the first 40 movements is provided along with instructions, commentary and general comments.  Black and white line illustrations for each movement sequence (1-40) are provided. This is the most detailed and complete webpage on the subject of the Sun Taijiquan 73 Competition Form available on the Internet.  

I will complete my study and analysis of the Sun Taijiquan International Competition 73 Movement Form by 2015.  I only know and regularly practice movements 1-50 of this competition form at the present time.   

Sun Lu Tang's Internal Martial Arts: Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Hsing I Quan, Weapons, and Qigong

Students of Sun Taijiquan now have more English language resources on the Traditional 98 Form created by Grandmaster Sun Lutang and published in 1921.  For examples: 
 
Traditional Sun Style Taijiquan  By Tim Cartmell and Troyce Thome.  Boston, McGraw Hill Learning Soulutions, 2010.  222 pages.  ISBN: 0078039142.  This is the most detailed instruction that I have seen on the Traditional Taijiquan 98 movement form created by Grandmaster Sun Lutang.  Saddleback College Course CPS7, Mission Viejo, California.  VSCL. 

Traditional Sun Style Taijiquan.  Instructional DVDs by Tim Cartmell.  "This 5 DVD set includes complete and precise instruction of the entire traditional Sun style Taijiquan form. Every posture and movement of the long form is covered in full detail, in addition the DVDs also include detailed instruction of postural alignment, power building exercises, footwork, methods of partner testing for every posture in the form and numerous demonstrations of the martial applications of the form movements."

1 comment:

  1. "I have practiced/studied Sun taiji 97 form for about 4 years now. I learnt it from Sun Jian yun instructional dvd set for the 97 and it is phenomenal. The question that I have now is: I am wanting to learn more about 97 form and have been looking at Tim's 4 dvd set..... and have read some of the reviews by various folks...... I am interested in buying them having heard that Tim has had so much experience with Sun style (I have read his translation of Sun Lutang's study of taijiquan twice). As near as I can tell, he is actually including instructions on the full 97 form spread out over the several dvds. I find value in learning from more than one teacher (if they are good) as you always pick up something of interest. I just hate buy (as I have in the past on some other's "instructional" dvds) something that I believe is instructional in the forms as well as the other helpful information (apps and alignments etc) and find that I am not getting instructions in the forms. Can you answer my question? I am a little over concerned maybe but hate to part with that many $$ to find out I hit a dud. AND BY THE WAY, THANKS FOR HAVING SUCH A SPECTACULAR WEBSITE WITH SO MANY LINKS AND ARTICLES." Email on 4/15/2012 from Victor in Danville IL.

    My response by email:

    Victor,

    Great to hear about your steady 4 year practice of the Sun Style Taiji 97 Form. Congratulations!

    I practice the Sun Style of Taijiquan standard international competition 73 movement form, not the original Sun Taiji 97 form. I tried to collect information on the 97 form, but have not purchased much on the 97 form except for the two books by Tim Cartmell: http://www.egreenway.com/taichichuan/sun73.htm#Traditional
    I am not familiar with the instructional DVDs on the 97 form since I have not purchased them. Be sure to purchase the new book by Tim Cartmell and Troyce Thome.

    I appreciate the positive feedback about my webpages.

    Best wishes,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete